#BeGREAT - Dwight Carter shows us that we can be just that!

Dwight Carter's book #BeGREAT arrived a few weeks ago. I was waiting for the right moment to read it. I knew that I wanted to savor this one and leave it to a time when I could really take it in. Today was that day. The start to a three day weekend was made even better as I read Dwight Carter's words. I was struck with the vulnerability of this book- Dwight shares about personal and professional experiences and regrets that have helped him reflect and grow. His lessons apply to leaders in the school and classroom and he models all of the traits and principles expressed throughout the book. 

George Couros sets the perfect tone in the foreword and learning about the way these two met over Twitter to became lifelong friends who support one another is inspiring. 

The introduction guides me through the focus of the book. I love the origin of #BeGREAT- a closing salutation in emails to your staff and I am adding this to my emails! We all have prior experiences that make us hesitant to try something new. Chapter 1 focuses us on What We Control. It is important that I ask myself and others about these anchors that we drag. "How long are you going to drag the anchor?" And, Jack Slavinski taught me that I set the tone for my day and Tom Cody reminded me that I only get this one day every day and it is important to Keep my Day!

I know I will reread sections of this book and I want to make a list of reminders for myself. Here are a few of my takeaways that I plan to revisit this school year. 

1. Be Grateful

Steve Bollar's words sit with me, "Vision frustrates your present but excites your future." And Dwight's application of these "As we share our excitement about our schools' futures we may frustrate our colleagues," is a reminder for me as I approach my work. Eliminate ego and incorporate gratitude. Kim Strobel emphasizes the connection between gratitude and happiness. I thought about Lainie Rowell's Evolving with Gratitude as I read this section and I felt those two books walking hand in hand down a road of a consistent practice of gratitude. Megan Andersan bravely admitted that in order to change the culture in her school, it had to start with her.

2. Be Relational

Trust is key for productivity and trust has three components: character, connection, and competence. Dwight asks himself a powerful question that I will emulate in my own practice, "If I weren't me, would I want to follow the example that set." This is the section of the book that I was lucky enough to share a story in. I (Steph Rothstein) wrote about ways that I connect with students and help them connect with one another. Since the publication of this book, I have shifted into a new role in a new district and reflecting on the experiences that I had in my prior role really helped me to think about ways I can apply these lessons everywhere. "The biggest challenge to authentic relationship building is time. The best way I have learned to combat this is to ensure that students are part of relationship-building opportunities." I have to remember to include others in the process and not do something for them but with them. Diane Campbell reminds me that building relationships can span beyond the walls of the classroom to strong partnerships with businesses and the community. 

3. Be Enthusiastic

Dwight's honest reflection on what it was like to be a leader during the pandemic helped me process all that we have gone through. Principal Baruti Kafele reminds me that "you can't do this work at an optimal level if you are not grounded in your purpose." The section on Managing Your Distractions is one that I want to email to everyone I know. If we really want to change the feeling of a place, we have to be fully present. I also really appreciate how you explained the importance of protecting the risk takers so that they can continue to try. Solome Thomas-EL, Ed.D shared a powerful message, "Educators should find places to work where they are celebrated and not just tolerated."

4. Be Authentic

Dwight opens up in this section of the book. He shares real and unfiltered experiences. I appreciate Dwight's ability to weave his personal and professional journey using these principles into the lessons of the chapters. Thank you! Dr. Donja Thomas explains, "even with a busy life, we will make time to do the things that matter to us." I love what she tells students that "they are one of one" and I plan to use that phrase often. Sarah L. Johnson explains how imposter syndrome plays a role in her hiding her authentic self and how important it is to "quiet the noise of what others want from me, or what I perceive they want, and get clear on my mission and the vision of who I must become." I especially love the tips on building in self reflection, not just as a personal practice done alone but a school wide practice woven into lessons and professional learning. 

5. Be Teachable

We as educators must model what being teachable looks like. If we are not continuously learning and growing, why should they? Steve Bollar reminds us, "Being teachable needs to sit well with your soul. Your own values should always be the filter through which you interpret your lessons." Dr Kimberly Pietsch Miller shares "If our schools don't evolve, then we are not preparing students for a world beyond the schoolhouse, and that is just not acceptable."


I love that the conclusion is Dwight Carter's own list of what he believes. It really is a list that guides all decisions in a school and district. My goal for this year is to work on my own belief list in the categories he shares: Students; Staff; Community and Parents; Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment; Leadership. Thank you for sharing so many powerful messages. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We all need Small Wins

LEAD In: Quickly Build Authentic Connection and Trust

Taking Control of Your Professional Growth