Teams, the set up process

 I think it is pretty funny that I am a TOSA and one of my first blogs is not about anything Tech related.  For me, some of the processes of technology are dependent on the people using it. If I haven't set up my systems to help students talk to one another and work well in teams, integrating technology is worthless.  As I begin to think about it, I have to admit that there are a few "techy" steps, but they are minimal and I hope to provide you a process to help you get to know your students and how to help them work best together.


So, let's get to it.  Here are my steps.

1.  Day 1: I let them pick their first group!  This way, I know who their friends are.  Shhhh, don't tell.

2.  Students take a Personality Assessment (Ketterman Survey) Day 1 or 2 of my Class.  They then share their personality color with me: Gold (Leaders/Structure), Blue (Feelers/Heart), Green (Big Thinkers/Questioners), or Orange (Personality/Movement Driven).  I review the colors using The Personality Colors Explanations Document.

3.  Students write their name on the color paper that aligns with their color.  After that, I take a photo of each student in the class.


4.  I move the photos into iPhoto.



5.  I print the photos as a Contact Sheet.  (I should clarify, I save them as a PDF and ask our amazing copy person to print them so that they can be in color.)  Then I laminate them and cut them out.



5.  Now, the fun begins...  Making actual teams!

6.  Using a small sharpie, I write the table number in on the bottom of the photo.  This way, I know who they have worked with before.  I will keep adding table numbers as they complete more than one project during the year and are in other groups.




7.  Pull out those who emerged as leaders and separate them to match the number of groups you want.  I put them all in a column on the left.  Then, look at their personality colors.  Start to pull from previous groups you still have on your table and put them with students who would help balance the personality colors of the group.  Make sure to also spread out those who may need additional support.  I try to put some students that may need more attention and support in a group of 4, if my other groups have 3.  This way, if a student needs a reduced amount of work, it will have less impact on the entire team.




8.  Then move them to the board.  When I co-taught a class 8 years ago, my awesome co-teacher brought in this organizer. It is typically used in elementary classes as a calendar and has been perfect for this.  I try to move groups to new places in the room. If no one in the group has sat at table 2, that helps me give them a new view in the classroom.




9.  When I make new groups, I go through the same process.

Other options for teams:


  • When I ask students to form their own teams around a shared interest or topic for my class, I always ask them to think about balancing their personality colors.  While they can make their own choices, they will find more group success, if they have at least two colors or more in their team.  It will help to provide a balance and workflow.
  • Teams can be formed by other skills.  If I know I am asking them to make a film for a project, I want to know what skill set students are coming to my class having.  If they are editors and filmmakers, I will organize those students to the left first to, as I put it, spread the love.
  • If you are looking for a randomizer for making groups,  SuperTeacherTools is for you. It doesn't follow my process, but if you need something quick and need a change, you can try the free GroupMaker tool.


Other helpful reasons I love this board!

  • I have found this super helpful to learn names. I have 9th graders so their pictures don't get loaded into our attendance system for some time.  
  • Parents love seeing this at Back to School Night.
  • Students are often added to my classroom and I can easily see where I can place them and show them a face of someone who will be helpful to them in their team, even if the class isn't happening right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We all need Small Wins

LEAD In: Quickly Build Authentic Connection and Trust

Taking Control of Your Professional Growth