Helping Students Grow As Leaders

 I had that moment today, you know the one, the one that makes you feel like something is right.  While watching my Yearbook EIC (Editor in Chief) address the class I realized it has happened.  She stood with confidence in herself in front of the classroom, had already read through all the content of page spreads on her own and had a list of students she needed to meet with to give in person feedback beyond the notes listed in our shared google doc.  She had listed which students were coming up time and time again with incompletes and figured out what additional support they might need to get their work done. I watched her do what the best teachers do and what I ultimately hope to help more and more students and staff know how to- understand themselves and responsibilities well enough that they can predict and support the needs of those they are leading.  She did an amazing job and after, I pulled her aside and said, "You are here.  You get it.  You have always been a leader, but now you see the big picture and I am so proud of you."


What followed made me think even more.  She was feeling great but she wasn't sure if others were carrying their weight and if we should take their titles away.  My response, "Your job is to show them how to be a leader and grow.  If you expect something different, taking their title away isn't going to motivate them to work harder for you.  So, how can you help them to get there?"

In our LEAD@LG pathway, we call this category of growth and learning, Agency.  Agency is necessary at all levels of an organization. It isn't just students who need to build it, it is also necessary for our staff as well.  If I can do this as a teacher with my students, it makes my life easier. If I can do this as a site leader, it can make all of our lives easier.  And ultimately, it sets up a classroom and school for even greater success.  To build Agency, the first step is to provide opportunities to build it.  How can you create moments where you as a teacher release control?


In my LEAD English 9 class, part of earning honors credit comes from students pursuing leadership roles in our community.  They can participate in speaking engagements on behalf of the program, they can plan social events for the team, they can participate in a teen advisory book club in the community, lead a workshop for students who need support, or make a screencasting video to teach others something useful to our projects.  This is a different role than always being the student speaking in a discussion and that distinction is important. I realized that I cannot just expect that they will know what it means to be a leader and how to show it.  Our staff are the same way; they have to feel a part of the process and have a connection to what is being created.  While reading Lead Like a Pirate #LEADlap, there was a question that resonated with me, "How can you ensure that if your staff didn't have to be there [for Professional Development], the room would still be full?"  Isn't this the same question?  Are real Leaders there because they have to be or because they see moments we are together as opportunities for growth and change.  Additionally, we need to be asking, how we can inspire more leaders on our campuses?

Ultimately I'm left feeling I am sure of a few things:
1.  Students and Staff cannot grow without opportunities to try
2.  It is our job as teachers and site leaders to cultivate and encourage leaders
3.  Give feedback that is useful, timely and motivates
4.  Receive feedback well and show that you also want to grow
5.  Actively be present
6.  Be honest, caring, and connect
7.  Don't operate from a place of fear
8.  Give gratitude
9.  Walk the Talk (a line stolen from Traci Bonde @tr_bo)

It is my hope to continue to do this moving forward.  I have set up opportunities for my students through embedded honors and with my Yearbook Editors, but now my goal is to do this with our staff.  I need to take people with me on the journey. As a Department Chair and TOSA, I often think about this.  I am not doing any of these jobs because I like doing it alone and all of my leadership roles are shared this year. Ultimately, I want us to all be better and would love to help build leaders who feel confident to inspire others on this journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We all need Small Wins

LEAD In: Quickly Build Authentic Connection and Trust

Taking Control of Your Professional Growth