Google Innovator is VIP Disney Magic

 "What was it like, you know going to Singapore for Google Innovator?"


Man, that is a hard question to answer.  Do you have 3 hours to chat?  All I can say in 30 seconds is "It was a life changing experience and I am forever better because of it."


When I got my email of acceptance for Google Education Innovator Singapore #SEA19 this last summer, I shook with disbelief.  "Is this really happening?" I said to myself while standing in the middle of the farmer's market with my three kids.  I turned to my youngest (age 3), "Mommy is going to Singapore." "Singa-what?" Ok, you don't get it. "Let me get you kids some shaved ice so Mommy can process and call Daddy."  I didn't know how it was going to get paid for, but I knew I was going and I sent my confirmation back immediately. When I applied, I knew I wanted to pick something that would push me outside of my comfort zone, so I decided to apply for a cohort outside of the United States.  I really wanted part of my experience to be about gaining a world perspective and I am so glad that I did.

It's been a month. I've been processing the experience ever since and I am still processing.  I don't think I ever want to stop. But another recent trip helped me figure a few things out that I would like to share.

BEING A GOOGLE INNOVATOR IS LIKE VIP DISNEY MAGIC


When I was on my recent Disneyland trip we ate at the Lamplight Lounge in Pixar Pier.  Our group, my family and our three kids and my sister's family and her two kids were walked to the back of the restaurant and through these doors that felt like the exit.  We headed down a strange corridor and got to a door that had a special lock.  "Disney Magic has been bestowed upon you today, you will have two hours in this room designated for the Pixar Animators and you will have your own server who will come when you push this button."  Really?  Is this really happening?  We unlocked the secret door and it was magical.  Our own lounge area, our own pier overlooking the water, and our own place to be with our family.  While sitting at this restaurant having this exclusive experience that I could never dream of, I realized that this is what it is like to be an Innovator.

Applying is like making your reservation at the restaurant, but then when you get in, you are really having that secret door opened.  I had no idea of all the goodness that awaited me behind that door.  No idea!  But I did know that I was going to dive deep on every opportunity I was given.

MEET THE INNOVATORS  


I was connected with amazing people and this for me was the most valuable of all the parts.  My cohort, one after another it felt like an EDUcelebrity list.  Many of them lead their own groups in their home countries, have 38.8k followers on a YouTube Channel, have their own podcast series, run change making sessions at schools all over their countries, or have even written books.  I just felt honored to be a part of this amazing cohort.  For me, that connection was the most important part and it still is.  I am motivated by them, their stories, their challenges, their perseverance and that is what has helped us bond despite being in very different time zones.  It honestly helped me that I was a bit green to this world. I didn't know who was the head of what group and it allowed me to see them as people.  For sure I stalked them all on Twitter later and realized who I was actually talking to, but I felt comforted to know I had built a connection with them as people first.

THE NEED FOR SPEED

I read a Emma Pass' blog post before I left and that helped me understand the scope and speed of the experience so I wasn't overwhelmed when we moved quickly through the Design Thinking process.  One thing that comforted me was knowing I was accepted for being me. So, I just needed to be that, the best version of me I could be. Other than that, I wanted to fully embrace every opportunity.  I think I did.


MUSIC IS ON, I AM DANCING!  

I mean this literally and metaphorically! My SEA cohort will know what I mean by this.  I danced on dance floors, in vans built for 13 passengers to take us out after a long day together, I danced at my table while I was trying to develop my ideas.  I moved with every opportunity seeing that opportunity as just my next song.  I might need to change my rhythm, I might need some new steps, but I am still moving and dancing.

WE ARE ALL DEALING WITH THE SAME STUFF




My biggest takeaway that I need to turn into a talk... No matter where you are from, whether you work in a village in Malaysia, with an indigenous population in Australia, work with students who have differing physical abilities in South Korea, or chair a cross curricular pathway in the United States, we are all dealing with the same stuff.  As Educators, we deal with people and that means we have lots to share and learn from one another.  


I'm not going to spoil the magic for you.  I really can't.  Even if you read every detail from another blog, you won't really get it. It is like the best summer camp experience that you never want to leave, the best vacation with friends who you feel like you have known your whole life, lots of work that feels big but is also so inspiring, that VIP table through the hidden door at Disney, and I'm not going to lie, wearing all the Google Gear rocks!  I wear my Innovator backpack every day with pride and happily pull out my water bottle. I'm proud of it and I should be. My true goal is to not let this inspiration die.  I have continued to connect with my cohort and others because I know that these people will push me to be better. I love learning and I love learning from them.


NOW IT IS YOUR TURN!

That really is my motivation.  I want to help others see themselves as a part of this amazing opportunity.  It is a lot of work, but the work is worthy to be done and it is for you.  Really, if you are doing something that you care about, you would be working on it whether or not Innovator was there, so let this be your space to grow it. I am happy to help any of you find your Innovator magic. I am happy to listen and happy to support.  Feel free to find me on twitter: @StephRothEDU.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We all need Small Wins

LEAD In: Quickly Build Authentic Connection and Trust

Taking Control of Your Professional Growth