Because of a Teacher - I am the lucky one

Because of a Teacher officially published on August 7, 2021. I could not contain my excitement but it was also my first week at my new job in a new school district. I came home each night that first week and fell asleep without meaning to at 9:00pm. I loved this first week but I have eagerly awaited a moment of quiet and this morning, before my three kids and husband woke up, I found it! I sat down in the pure silence of the morning and read, really read Because of a Teacher. I have to be honest, it was pretty surreal to read a book that has my own chapter inside it. That aside, this book profoundly moved me.




I love how George Couros was motivated to bring this book idea to life because he "wanted to bring a little light to the education world." Each section of this book felt like it was written for me and where I am in my own journey. 

Gratitude

The very first section filled me with gratitude for the educators who have impacted me in my childhood and the educators I have been privileged to observe. Much of these chapters spoke to a teacher who can really see others and build deep and authentic connections. Dr Jody Carrington showed me that it would be such a gift if teachers knew the scope of their influence because teachers "show students how to do hard things." Steve Bollar explained the importance of making everyone feel seen. I want every student to utter these words- "[s]he always had time for me." Diedre Roemer shared lessons learned from her father and the importance that we remember that "[w]e all have a story to tell." Dr. Mary Hemphill's profound moment of teaching in her mentor's room and carrying on Fun Friday reminded me of my own Friday Clap and reminded me that "lifelong learning is a celebration of the discoveries, wonderings, and ideas that we sometimes take for granted." Tom Murray's chapter moved me, really moved me. I will think of these words often, "When I changed my mindset from what I taught to who I taught, the real work came into focus." Isn't that the point of all of this?

Inspiration

As I am on my own educational leadership journey entering the world of administration, this second section really helped me see who I am inspired to be. Again, much of this section was a thank you note to those who as George Couros explains, "see gifts in others and help to draw them out." Dr. Katie Novak poured out her heart on the page and reminded me to "[m]ake sure everyone around you is OK. And if they're not don't just ask if there's anything you can do. Instead, take action...." Amber Teamann reminded me that so many educators don't set out to become administrators but "[s]ometimes all you need is someone in your corner cheering for you." Dwight Carter helped me understand what can happen when someone believes in you. It is through this belief that "[g]reat leaders create more leaders." I know that is what has happened for me and what I want to do for others. Dr. Katie Martin reminded me that as a leader not everything can fit my plan. "How often do we hold teachers or students back from doing great things and exploring their passions because we aren't sure of the outcomes or they don't fit into the plan?" Instead, I must model what I want for all of our students. Lainie Rowell's reflection helped me imagine future conversations I will have with staff and the kind of leader I hope to be and hope I am. I want us to build solutions together and I want to know "when and how to support others to achieve their greatness." Just like her mentor, Lainie is always one to lift others up. She lives and breathes this and I am lucky to have experienced this first hand. Thank you, Lainie.

Reflection


And just like that, I was on the final section of the book. I had mixed emotions because I honestly did not want it to end. This mirrors my thoughts on my career. How am I 18 years into my educator journey? When did that happen? According to George Couros "the best way to slow time in adulthood and in our careers is to appreciate the moment you are in - both the good and the bad." The last section with advice you would give to your first year teacher self,
helped me reflect on moments from which we all can learn and what it really feels like to begin something new, teaching or otherwise.

So then, it happened. I turned the page and there I was, staring at my own chapter and reading my own words. My oldest daughter had read the chapter to me the second the book arrived but this was the first time I was reading it to myself. 

It was surreal. Here is my chapter in a book with so many educators I admire. I have heard some of them speak and read many of their books. This process has opened a new world to me and I am forever grateful for the support. I know I have spent the last few years taking leaps and I could not be prouder that my first writing in a book is a collaborative experience. After all, this book is all about gratitude and support of others, so it is fitting to me that I am not walking this journey alone. 




So much of my [Stephanie Rothstein's] epiphanies are about gaining confidence in just being me and to "stop comparing my readiness to that of others." Comparison is a trap rooted in competition and I for one want to walk this educational journey collaboratively. Livia Chan helped me ask myself will I do "today's best" and remember that "you are doing the best you can with the skills and knowledge you have." This is even more reason to keep learning and growing. Dr. Evan Whitehead reminded me that is is "OK to say no." Finding your voice and knowing your boundaries can still be challenging even after 18 years, especially when you want to make a good impression in a new place but it is more important that you can be your best self in the things you do. Lauren Kaufman's realization that she "thought she would be at that school forever" really hit me. That is me but for the first time in my journey, I am seeing myself beyond this year and a particular place. Lauren lives what she writes and connections really are her cornerstones. I am forever grateful to Lauren who has become a true friend in this journey. Meghan Lawson reminded me that "I don't need to be perfect....My job is to keep going. My job is to keep trying." I can commit to that. I can always keep trying and it is what I want for myself, my staff, our students. 


I know this book will have a profound impact. It already has and I can never say thank you enough to George Couros and Paige Couros. You believed in me. You did what all the authors in this book said that great leaders do. You lifted others up, you amplified our voices and words, you helped us see things in ourselves that we might not have seen, and you helped us all to grow. Thank you for believing and challenging and bringing this beautiful book to life.

#BecauseofATeacher





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We all need Small Wins

LEAD In: Quickly Build Authentic Connection and Trust

Taking Control of Your Professional Growth