Because of A Teacher II: Stories from the First Years of Teaching



When I learned that there was going to be a second book in the Because of a Teacher Series, I immediately hit the purchase button. This summer #walkread brought me thoughtful reflection and joy in this Summer 2022. Here are my biggest takeaways from George Couros and the amazing contributors.

I love this reminder from George Couros at the start of the book, "You are always a new teacher. Help kids find their voices, not replicate yours." I will consistently remind myself that as I begin my 20th year, it is my first 20th year. It shouldn't ever be the same and my goal is to support everyone I work with in their growth, not in mine.

Part I of the book focuses on The Importance of Relationships. 

Dr Latoya Goffney teaches us that in order to build relationships we must really focus on making our students feel important. If we focus there, everything else falls into place.

Allyson Apsey reminded me to ask myself, "in what ways do you empower students as leaders?" I love the focus of this question and helping our students be leaders is a focus that will shift the classroom and the entire community.

Mike Kleba asks us all to remember that mistakes are the best teachers. While it might be a challenge in the moment, these challenge really are opportunities.

Kim Strobel's advice on ways to use Classroom Meetings really stuck with me. I will ask others to "Share one of three things- Gratitude, Appreciation, Struggle." It is a simple action that can have a huge impact if we are really listening.

Jimmy Casas - If we want to improve student behavior in our schools, then we must change the way we interact with our kids. I appreciate the reminder to point to myself and what I can do to impact a situation. I can shift my own actions and I must focus there.


Part II helps us look at those relationships and build out by Making Connections Locally and Globally.

George Couros reminds me to look around at who I have in my circle because, "The best people in your life will not only have your back, but they will also push you." I am lucky to have a group to do this for me. I don't want them to always say that something is good. My goal is to evolve and that comes from feedback, honesty, and sometimes a little push.

Mike Mohammad reminds us what we can gain when learning from another teacher. "When observing other teachers (even for 10 min), find something to bring back to your own classroom." 

Kheila Dunkerly helped me remember what it is like to be the new person in a space. It is important that we always, "Take a look at who is sitting at your table. Who have you invited?" We ask students to be welcoming and open and I need to make sure that I am doing the same.

Jennifer Casa-Todd shares the importance of really knowing your students because, "When you know your students, you can teach and assess them with much more intention and attention." I love the idea of intentionally assessing and her section is one I will return to for those details. 

Yasmeen Robbins helps encourage us all to keep shifting and not just stay in the same cycle, "When the next challenge comes your way, don’t rely on how things have always been done." 

Dr Jill M Siler spoke to me in her chapter with a reminder to have my lessons both Surprise and Delight, "Our goal is to always be brave in our work and in our lives. Not or, it’s  AND! Select one lesson to take to the next level." I love that it wasn't about changing everything at once. Pick one lesson to focus on and improve.


Part III showcases the importance of Finding Your Voice, Finding Their Voice.

George Couros opens this section reminding us to "Let your light shine to better help your students find their way." I cannot ever dim my light, I must let it shine.

Dr Marcus Belin challenges us all to "Focus on being bold in moments when you are nervous." While it might take some practice, we must model these moments of boldness. 

AJ Juliani's Class Mantra is just what I needed to read and is going to be blown up as a poster: "Sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn." What a great lesson for students and for us all. 

Stephanie Smith shares an important lesson in her chapter, "You and your students are best served if you find the best parts of yourself and lead with those traits." I love the idea of sharing your best self and letting that lead your direction and honoring it.

Sean Gaillard's chapter was the perfect chapter to come after the lesson's of Stephanie Smith. I love how much music is in Sean's soul and he shares that "Music is a universal language, and it allowed me to see some of my students in a different light." Through music, Sean was able to share himself with his students differently and it helped him genuinely connect. 

Darin Nakakihara reminds us that," One of the unique things about teaching is that each year begins, and then it ends." We get a new group of students each and every year and if you loop with students, people grow and change and shift. The class and dynamic is always different. I love the idea of beginning fresh. 


I think the end of this book was my absolute favorite part. Thank you George for sharing your hope for us all.

"My hope is that there are four parts to this book. You’re at the end of the three parts where my coauthors and I share our thoughts and stories with you. The best part is yet to come: now you go out and see how important your story is." 
- George Couros
I will continue to think about my own story as the fourth part to this book. I was lucky enough to be part of the first Because of A Teacher book and I will continue remember that every year is a new first year to learn from. Thank you to all the contributors for sharing your lessons.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We all need Small Wins

LEAD In: Quickly Build Authentic Connection and Trust

Taking Control of Your Professional Growth