We all need Small Wins

 



I just realized that this is my 20th year in Education! Happy start to another school year! I have been a teacher, Pathway chair, Instructional Coach, TOSA, Admin, and Academic Innovation Leader.  Over this last year, I came to learn something that I will continue to keep in mind as I approach each and every day of the school year. 

WE ALL NEED SMALL WINS!
The last few years I have been asked to support staff in learning to tools, skills, and applying them to their day to day. I used to approach the opportunities with a mindset that I didn't want anyone to miss out on any information. I would use every minute and give everyone everything I thought they could ever want. 

I came to learn that this firehose approach is very overwhelming for most people. What I now do is focus on the small wins. What is one thing that you want to get out of this professional learning? What is a small tip that I can show you right now that will help you build in confidence so you know you can try something else? We have to scaffold professional learning experiences for everyone and we cannot expect overnight change. Instead, it is my job to deliver it in a way that can support you. 

Here are a few examples of Small Wins from this last year:
1. Showing staff how to make their own gifs using https://andtheniwaslike.co/. Quick and fun activity for staff and students. This can be used for a check in, staff meeting, or lesson.
2. Tech Tips for Staff in Google Workspace: emailing using gmail templates, use the explore button, use the grey space around a google slide!
3. Using Wakelet to share resources from a presentation and then showing others how to do the same.
4. Presenting on my favorite Pear Deck Lesson and being thanked after for this modeling scaffolding for all students.
5. Showing how students and staff can use Canva to adjust the info in an Infographic.

After each of these experiences, staff shared their gratitude. "I know I can do this and I cannot wait to try it." 

I think what I have really come to understand is that big shifts take time and we cannot get there without trust. We have to trust each other and believe in ourselves. That belief comes from small wins. I am going to approach this year with the understanding that every interaction is an opportunity for a small win. I am someone who appreciates growth and big impact but I know that it all must be sustainable and it cannot be done by one person. If WE are going to do this together, we each must experience small wins.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LEAD In: Quickly Build Authentic Connection and Trust

Taking Control of Your Professional Growth